Such is Life

The Only Blog On The Internet Born Of Tabasco Sauce...

Friday, September 29

Supposedly there was a cockroach on the 10-yard line

Tonight at the football game I spent some time talking to some foreign exchange students from Thailand. Apparently they don't know English all that well. One of them (I think her name is Kim) was telling me that she liked my hair but didn't like hers. I told her that I thought her hair was nice and shiny (really, what else can you say to people who are bashing themselves?) and for whatever reason, she thought I was saying it was "Chinese." So we spent like 5 minutes of her insisting she was Thai and me telling her that her hair really was shiny. Finally her guide, self-appointed friend, and translator (read: CaLyn) stepped in and explained to her what "shiny" meant.
Marching band tonight was sort of anticlimactic. Due to random cosmic reasons, this was my first year at homecoming, and everyone made such a big deal of marching that I thought it actually would be a big deal. Let me check: nope. We were on the field for what, 15 minutes?
I did have fun, though. The highlight of my evening was when my friend Karla (home visiting from Concordia) ran up to Mr. Melby and threw her arms around his neck in an enthusiastic hug. I suggested she do it, because hey, she doesn't go to BHS anymore, and she's just the kind of person that actually would. I don't know what was better: Melby's refusal to return the hug and remove his hands from his pockets, or the look of embarrassment on his face. It was priceless. By the way, I was really surprised when I found out that Mr. Melby takes dancing lessons with his wife. He seems so... well... I just can't picture him dancing, for example, the salsa and getting really into it. It's Mr. "My Heart Bleeds" Melby.

4 Comments:

At 9/30/2006 12:36 PM, Blogger m_kummet said...

WHOA! melby=dancing i will believe it when i see it!

when karla hugged mebly i laughed so hard! that takes guts! then i said "that was THE most akward thing i have seen in a long time!"
(maybe, just maybe deep down inside he felt something..)

 
At 10/01/2006 7:35 PM, Blogger constant_k said...

Melby is suprisingly light on his feet.

Watch that man move.

 
At 10/01/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger m_kummet said...

maybe its the touching another person willingly part that throws me off, or imagining him dancing with a serious face....?

 
At 10/04/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger The Clarinet Goddess said...

it's a lot funnier when someone that he -really- doesn't like hugs him... twice... take Guzy for example... was I the only person that witnessed that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home